The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich : Home Business Concepts
Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich

Posted by Linda | 11:18 AM

First of all, let me say that I mostly enjoyed this book and the writing style, and think some of the tips/ideas are great. Some of Tim's methods and his personality could rub people the wrong way, though, especially if they have no sense of humor. He's great at exploiting loopholes. Some people call that cheating. Some people call it smart. He definitely dances on that line. Either way, I imagine he makes the victims of these antics either revise their rulebooks, or find creative ways to deal with would-be Tim copycats. Some might say that is helping them improve and innovate. Some of Tim's ideas are not new or original, but he does put a different spin on them. Many of his methods will be hard to apply, especially given our current economy. I'm not sure if his newest revisions address the changes, but I suspect they probably don't.

As many others have stated, despite the misleading (marketing ploy) title, Tim is not trying to tell you a way to sit around and do nothing. Don't ever judge a book by its cover (or title)! On the contrary, I think Tim likely spends a great deal of time (probably more than 40 hours a week) working on things he enjoys. He spends money paying to avoid the things he doesn't enjoy. He doesn't always consider his endeavors work, but some people would. He just tries to outsource anything that bores him. It's not evil slave labor if you're paying a helpful person a livable wage for wherever they live, whether it's India, Indonesia, or Indiana. It's also not taking jobs from more local workers if they can't be as polite, productive, and professional. Tim also measure wealth in more than money and material goods. Most people that adopt this mentality are wise to do so.

If you don't have a personality like Tim's, then some suggestions will be very difficult for you to make work unless you have the ability to look at things differently, or at least sell ice cubes to an Eskimo! There are other books that are similar, but I haven't read them all. I don't have much of a scale for comparison for this type. I appreciated this book more than some I've read in the same category, though, because he does give examples that don't just apply to teens and college freshmen (although they can still use them and would have an easier time of it).

He also points to some resources that many people could find valuable. Tim seems intelligent, driven, and charismatic. He goes after what he wants, and while he's no angel, he seems like a decent, ambitious guy. I say "seems" because I have never met him and don't know him. Those claiming to know him in person seem to be either hate or love him, with very few falling somewhere in between. He does appear to have some noteworthy charity interests, and I like that he offers much of the info for his books on his blog for free. If you don't like his blogs, you may not like the books, though, so I advise checking them out before purchasing. Unfortunately I'm not on Amazon enough to reply to everyone, so please forgive me if I don't see your comments. I'm sure there are others with more time to respond. :)

0 comments
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...